[G4] G4 MDD HD ?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 12:14:58 PDT 2005

On 07/18/05, Harry Freeman <harry at gifutiger.com> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Daniel Brieck Jr. wrote:
>
>> No james you are exactly right the G4 MDD supports auto sensing ports
>> I researched this before hand to say what I did originally to make
>> things less confusing... So no gotchas there John...
>>
>> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717
>
> How do they do that?

The document answers:

"Many later Macintosh computers are able to use either a straight-through
Ethernet cable or a crossover Ethernet cable automatically through the use
of Auto-Medium Dependent Interface Crossover (Auto-MDIX). Other Macintosh
computers require the use of an Ethernet crossover cable because they only
work with the Medium Dependent Interface (MDI)

Auto-MDIX automatically switches between MDI and MDI-X, which allows either
type of cable to be connected regardless of whether you are connecting two
computers directly, or you are connecting to a hub or switch. MDI devices
connected to Auto-MDIX devices do not require a crossover Ethernet cable."