[G4] Setting the computer's clock

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Wed Jul 20 08:37:31 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Jul 20, 2005, at 4:47 AM, Dale Hoffman wrote:

>>>  Under the menu bar's Apple drop-down menu, click on System
>>> Preferences/Date & Time/ top row, choose "Set Date and Time
>>> automatically", and select from the window menus offered.
>>>
>>>  I hope that makes sense. Give it a try and tell me how it works.
>>>
>>>  keith whaley
>>  I never noticed that option. Thanks to both you and Kunga!
> I have since visited the Date and Time Preference panel and checked
> the "Set Date and Time Automatically" box. I wondered how this
> actually works (obviously it takes advantage of some internet
> connection) so I visited Apple's Support and found this page:

> My question is, when does this clock setting occur?
> How often is the correction performed?
> If I am online constantly with DSL or cable, is the checking done on a
> periodic basis?
>
> I do notice that with the auto check box selected I am unable to make
> manual changes to the clock. If I uncheck the box, mess with the
> clock, and recheck the box while online, the time is re-corrected.
>
> Interesting and useful feature.
>
> DaleH

Perhaps only Apple, or someone that has worked for apple can tell us,
but the system probably get the time from either WWV, WWVB and WWVH.

See; http://tf.nist.gov/

These are the official web sights of the US Government that maintain
and broadcast the primary time signal for the everyones use. They us a
Galleon Atomic Clock as the source for time keeping.

Best Regards,

Harry (*^_^*)

"Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean, You're not going to
destroy the world?". "No," said the Lord. "The government beat me to
it."