[G4] Wireless Networking for iBook

Lynn Persing lpersing at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 26 09:41:44 PDT 2005

Hello,

I just bought myself a used iBook with an airport extreme card and I
need a little networking help.  I have two desktop G4's networked right
now using a cable modem and a router with ethernet cables.  But, if
possible, it would be nice to be able to use the laptop wirelessly
throughout the house.  It's really not a priority, but if it can be done
cheaply, I figure, why not.

Is it possible to buy a cable/dsl router with wireless access that will
work with the laptop, yet leave my current G4's hard wired the way they
are?  They don't have wireless cabability and don't really need it.

I've done a little web searching and noticed that they do make a router
like the one I mentioned above that works on PC networks, but does it
work similarly on the Mac?  Is it difficult to configure?  Does anyone
have suggestions for a brand of router with this capability that is
working well for them?

I don't have the laptop in hand yet--the postman still has his greedy
little hands on it--so I'm trying to get some preliminary info before it
arrives.

TIA,

Lynn