[G4] Powermac wont Start need help

Ed T abob11 at cox.net
Sat Jul 30 13:14:20 PDT 2005

David
<www.everymac.com>  Lists supported OS as 9.1 or 9.2 and of course X.
I think you will need a 9.2 or X 10.1 Disk as minimum OS to start up
from. If it starts up
Run disk first aid or disk utility on the drive if it can be seen.
Then try to restart. Let us
know how you make out.
E T

On Jul 30, 2005, at 12:12 PM, David Mullally wrote:

> First of all apoligies for the questions if they are
> stupid
> My problem is i recieved a power mac G4 from a friend
> who couldnt get it to work (he recieved it from work
> Specs are as follows 733mhz /dvd-rw 640mb ram
> When i attempt to boot i receive a smiley face /? on
> the screen
> I have done some research on the net
> http://www.lowendmac.com/woods/02/0322.html and i
> found this link which seems to describe a similar
> problem on an Imac
> I have tried the following
> holding down c and trying to boot from cdrom (nothing
> different it spits back out the cd)
> i have also tried the option-p-r to zap the PRAM didnt
> make any difference
> tried booting with just the cd with the hard drive
> disconnected no difference
> tried booting with an external firewire device didnt
> make any difference
> the only mac cd i have is the one that came with it os
> 8.5
> Any help would be appreciated
> I am a complete mac virgin i know nothing apart from
> what ive read in the last 24 hours
> but i administrate and windows/solaris/linux network
> and know these operating systems reasonably well
> Thanks
> Dave

For the things we have to learn before we can do them,
we learn by doing them. - Aristotle