[G4] Mystery startup problem

John Collins johnccollins at comcast.net
Sun Jul 31 11:03:20 PDT 2005

Any thoughts?  I have solved the problem but can't understand it.

I was working with iDVD5 to reconstruct a video project which had been
corrupted by changed file locations, etc. And iDVD froze, I finally
force quit and then had other problems like the mouse failed, I plugged
in hard wired mouse with no success, did a complete restart and the G4
QS/dual800 restarted from a different disc.The mouse was then OK. I
tried several times to reset to the primary startup disc and could not
get any success.  It would not restart from that disc--it showed up as
a viable start up option but would then start from a different disc. I
used Disc Warrior and Drive Genius (time consuming and not sure it did
anything--scanning showed no bad blocks on the disc). Disc Warrior also
indicated no problems. It would still not restart from the primary
start disc.

Finally in desperation, I cloned (carbon copy c) the primary start up
disc to a clean disc--thinking the original OS X.3.9 was probably
corrupted and I was pretty sure it would be a waste of time.
Instead--it started up fine from the cloned copy. So I figured it must
be a problem with the hard drive. I erased the original drive and
recloned the copy back to it and all is well. As far as I can tell all
is as it originally was.

Any similar mysteries or thoughts?

John in Tucson