[G4] Where to put a 3rd hard drive?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jun 2 00:48:25 PDT 2005

On 1 Jun, 2005, at 11:56, John Baltutis wrote:

Setting up your PM G4 describes it well
<http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PowerMacG4_GigEthernetSetup.PDF>. Pg
64
states that if you want more than two HDs, you'll need a SCSI PCI card,
etc.

IMHO- I believe that this information is not exactly what he needed to
see. This page of the article only addresses the matter of installing
SCSI drives in the G4, and says nothing about using additional IDE
drives.

If you have extra SCSI drives just laying around the house, by all
means, use them if they are large enough to fit your need. However,
larger capacity IDE drives are much cheaper than SCSI drives and can be
installed by using a PCI card like the Sonnet ATA-133 IDE controller
card. This card will recognize more than the 120Gb limit of each drive
that is the default limit for the stock controller.

If the two ribbon kit is purchased with the card, each ribbon will
accommodate two drives. That way, four hard drives might be installed
in the G4 instead of only the two that the article page indicates. This
ability to mount four hard drives is dependent on the total power
requirements of the drives installed in the case. Be sure not to exceed
the capability of the power supply and be sure to count each separate
drive, including the CD and Zip drives. I was only able to mount three
hard drives in my box because of a power limitation but I was still
able to install over 240Gb worth of drives on the card.

Hope this gives extra information and guidance.