[G4] Where to put a 3rd hard drive?

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Jun 2 04:35:28 PDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 00:07, Crandon David wrote:

> But won't performace suffer only when the computer is accessing both
> the hard drive and the DVD drive at the same time?

Two devices on the same ATA channel cannot be accessed at the same
time. That's a basic difference between ATA and SCSI. There are other
issues as well, which have been mentioned already both here and on the
other list -- ATA/66, 48-bit LBA, and so on.

But talk is waste of breath. Why don't you try it? It should work (I
say "should" rather than "will" because it depends on the ATA
controller on the motherboard). If you're happy with the drive's
performance, fine -- what does it matter what anyone says? If you're
not, you can always get an ATA PCI card or ext'l FW enclosure and use
the drive that way.

<0x0192>