[G4] more about the DVR-109 and Dual Layer writing

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 13:16:46 PDT 2005

Following up on the earlier suggested URL: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=137761,
which offered a firmware updater for DVR-109's (which I just did by re-attaching mine to my PC):

=================================
Pioneer 109 1.50EU2 Firmware Released

Change Log.
Support 8x +RW Media
(8x writing: RICOH)
(3.3x writing: 8x +RW Media of other than RICOH)
Support New 16x DVD-R Media
(12x writing: DAXON/MBI/RITEK/CMC)
Support New 8x DVD-R Media
(8x writing:LEADDATA/AMC/Optodisc/NANYA/Intermedia/LGE/KINGDISC/POSTECH/Must/PRINCO/NSD)
Support New +R 16x Media
(12x writing:Prodisc/BeALL)
/LEADDATA/Optodisc/Philips)
DVD-R/+R DL Writability has improved.
DVD-R/+R DL Readability has improved.
DVD-R/+R Writability has improved
DVD-R/+R Readability has improved
DVD-RW/+RW Writability has improved
DVD-RW/+RW Readability has improved
CD-R/RW Writability has improved
CD-R/RW Readability has improved
Overall CD Readability has improved.

Note that it does indeed mention DVD-R/+R writability and readability, but I read that all too quickly and did not see the "-R" part.

However, after just having flashed my firmware to the new 1.50 version, I noted on my Mac System Profiler that it says "DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL," but nothing about -R DL.   So, I really don't know if the DVR-109 will do -R DL on my Mac.  Not that it matters much right now, though.

Anyway, sorry if my earlier oversight has mislead anybody.

--Steve