[G4] G4 Upgrade

Ernest Vincent Pons-Worley eponsworley at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 10:46:42 PDT 2005

I agree with others who have suggested buying a Mac Mini for $500 or a
tower for $1,300.  This is the way to go, if you can afford it.

However, if your budget is really tight, you could do what I did:  I
bought a faster, dual-processor (faster processors) board for my G4
from someone upgrading their system on eBay for $100 and replaced my
single processor board with the faster dual-processor board.  The
operation took less than five minutes.  These boards come up for sale
on eBay all the time.  Just keep searching.  If you do go with a dual,
faster processor board, be sure to get one that includes the heat sink,
because it's a different shape than the single processor heat sink.

One note of caution: I went with a real Apple board.  I have no
experience with the after-market cpu upgrades.  Good luck,
Ernest