[G4] Help on upgrading my G4

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 6 11:32:03 PDT 2005

David:

That is a decent computer you got under you.

The best upgrade you could do in my opinion is --

Sell the G4 you have as it will still fetch a reasonable price and
search out a faster G4 that is only a few hundred dollars more.  This
is the cheapest and my least preferred upgrade option. Get with the
newer shit.

Or sell the old one and go invest in a nice shiny imac G5 (or other
model G5) from Apple or Apple Reseller.  I would assume that the price
on G5s will drop a bit as soon as Apple announces (officially) that it
is switching to Intel chips (from IBM).  Also check the possibility of
an Academic purchase and/or the Specials page on the Apple website.
The Specials page has refurbs and close-outs from Apple.  This has the
best advantages in Warrantees and Guarantees and free shipping (in US).

The third option I can think of is to search out a used G5.  Some of
the earlier ones can be had reasonably and these would still represent
a signifigant speed boost to you.  Always some risk buying used stuff,
no warrantee and shipping is high on these 50 lb beasts.

Too just do parts purchasing for you old G4 would cost as much or more
than most of the options listed above and in general it just is not
worth it.  You would need a faster CPU but the bus speed cannot be
changed.  And this may also mean using a 3rd party procesor.  Faster,
bigger HD but again Bus speed...   Better video card but you AGP slot
is still the same speed, so your options are limited and the top video
cards for G4s tend to be more expensive, so you pay a small premium.
The only advantage to this peice-meal upgrading is that you can do it a
few hundred dollars at a time over time.  I only see this as an option
when the speed of the CPU is acceptable but you want to add Ram or HD
space.

Good luck.

jj

On 6-Jun-05, at 12:48 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com