[G4] FW: Apple not pursuing 64-bit Intel processors?

Aaron Willems aaron at macmanifest.com
Wed Jun 8 09:32:01 PDT 2005

Yes, this one concerns me. I have a feeling Apple is going to go for
Market-share. If they release iBooks, PowerBooks, eMacs, and iMacs with
Intel Processors and price them at the same price as Dell, they can
directly compete against them. This gives the general consumer a real
choice in platforms. This single move to Intel gives Apple a real chance
of doubling their Market-Share, which is what the Share Holders want. Of
course something has to be sacrificed for this to happen. I'm afraid high
end machine with 64 Bit Processing may lose out. I just hope Apple is
smart enough to put Xeon Processors on their Xserves and PowerMacs at some
point and return to 64 Bit Processing. We'll see what OS 10.5 (Leopard)
has to offer. I'm glad I picked up a Dual Processor G5, it may be the last
real PowerMac for a while.

--
Aaron Willems
aaron at macmanifest.com
http://www.MacManifest.com
Spreading the Good Word about Today's Macintosh.