[G4] Re: Do I need a new DVD Player?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Jun 10 06:35:40 PDT 2005

Here's the place to study compatibility before you buy:

<http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php>

It's a great way to narrow down your choices based on the homebrew
DVDs you plan to play on it. And you can also use it to find out if
the model you like in the store or that is on sale is compatible with
how you plan to burn.

BTW, I just successfully converted two Apple "117D" Superdrives to
fully functioning and supported DVR-108 Dual Layer drives with the
instructions from Accelerate Your Mac.

Guide to Flashing G5 OEM DVR-117D to DVR-108 Firmware
<http://xlr8yourmac.com/tips/FlashingDVR-117guide.html> by Jon Austin.

When you look at the drive's label it says 108AA. System profiler
calls it Apple's unique number 117D. I guess the D is for DUMMED DOWN
because what it is is a crippled Dual Layer 108 - Pioneer's first
dual layer burner. The above link shows you how to easily upgrade
this drive in a matter of minutes to a fully functioning dual layer
and much faster reading and burningSuperDrive.

The DVR-108 is only slightly slower than the 109 in a few places.
Mainly it also reads CDs for ripping at 40x like the 109. It only
writes CD-Rs up to 32x while the 109 writes them at up to 40x. The
108 only writes DVD +R DL and ±RW at 4x instead of up to 6x on the
109. And 108 reads DVD±R at only 12x instead of the 109's 16x. But
for those of us with the '04-'early '05 PowerMacs, it's a great way
to add new life to the "old" 2004 SuperDrives.

Here's two pages comparing the drives.

DVR-108 <http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?
ArticleId=10114>

DVR-109 <http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?
ArticleId=12802>

Specification charts are a short scroll down on each page. The point
is that Apple has been shipping a Dual Layer CAPABLE burner for a
year without allowing us to use it that way natively or even with
Toast. But with the above firmware update, the same drive now works
natively and in Toast much faster and including Dual Layer burning
than what Apple shipped since last summer. I really can't understand
why they retarded the 108 to begin with. Very weird.

We all owe Chris Breen a debt of gratitude for pointing this out
recently in May 11th MacWorld

<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/05/duallayerdawn/index.php>

  and to Jon Austin for providing such complete instructions on how
to do it. This little procedure saved me the cost of buying a new
DVR-109.