[G4] a bit OT--weird behavior and application conflict(s) with Tiger?

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sun Jun 12 12:32:40 PDT 2005

Since having installed Tiger, and maybe even dating back to 10.3.9--I
really forget now, my Quicksilver 2002, upgraded with Mercury Extreme
1.4 GHz card and Radeon 9000 video card, had been going whacko:
bright green random character substitutions, mainly in Eudora, but
then creeping into other app's, too, and finally in Tiger, freezing
the machine requiring hard re-boots.  My first thought was a
corrupted font, so I downloaded a font manager program and chacked
everything out and got rid of all questionable fonts.  Then, trashed
all the font cache files (great article in current MacWorld, BTW:
"Take Out the Cache").  Also used Font Finagler.  Then started up as
root, removed the Fonts folders in /Library and /System/Library and
replaced them with the Fonts folder from the install disk.  Nothing
worked.  I even tested memory with Remember, and it was OK.  But,
when I logged in as another user with no startup files nor anything
else pre-installed, the computer was OK (though I seem to recall
having had problems in Safe Mode with my normal account).

Well, taking that clue, I turned off all startup applications and
haxies and other goodies, and one-by-one introduced them, and it
appears that the culprit was the seemingly innocuous wClock.app, an
improved menu bar clock.  At first I thought that it could have been
PrefsMenu because of the way that it munged the icons in Tiger.  But,
I just fired it up again, and it *seems* to behave OK.

So, has anybody else experienced problems with wClock?  Or PrefsMenu?

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Steve