[G4] problem was OWC Mercury Extreme 1.4 GHz processor upgrade!

Joel Threatt jthreatt at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 15 17:17:09 PDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Steve Goldstein wrote:

> For weeks and weeks, my Quicksilver 2002 has been behaving more and
> more bizarrely, and I have tried everything short of removing the
> OWC Mercury Extreme G4 at 1.4GHz
>
> BINGO!  That was the problem all along.  Back in its original
> state, except that I re-installed the ATI Radeon 9000 video card,
> the Mac passes all tests with Apple Hardware Test, and, more
> importantly, seems to be behaving perfectly once again!  All of the
> utilities that I had suspected as culprits are working just fine,
> as is Eudora.
>

> Peace,
>
> Steve

I just got a replacement Mercury Extreme 1.2. The first one I
received failed the post IE.. no level 3 cash. They (OWC) were more
than prompt getting me a replacement. The new one failed as well. So
feeling nothing to loose, I set the jumpers for 1.33mhz. The machine
would not boot so I shutdown, reset the jumpers to 1.2, as shipped,
started up and lo and behold there was the level 3 cashe in the
profiler and all post's passed. Go figger. I am going to give this 25
days and see if things stay normal and if not I am going to trade for
a Sonnet. I have heard a few folks complain about the Mercury
upgrades but for now mine is doing fine.  Good luck.

Joel