[G4] New hard drive question

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 03:27:56 PDT 2005

Just thought I'd throw this out.  I bought an SATA drive controller
that supports 2  drives.  On my wife's dual 1 gig G4 is where I
installed it.  I hooked up a 160 gig SATA drive to it from my iMac
which I upgraded to a 250 gig.
It really seems to speed things up.  It can support very large drives
also.  So, if you're needing a lot of storage space and want quick
access and don't want to have a string of external firewire drives,
it might be worth considering.

Tim
On Jun 21, 2005, at 8:05 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> On 22/6/2005 7:57 AM, "Al Poulin" <alpoulin at cox.net> wrote:
>

>> Another alternative to consider is an external Firewire drive.   In
>> either case, a question is whether your MDD will see all 200 GB
>> without
>> a new PCI controller card.
>>

> Al, this can be a problem? Pertaining to all machines? I have 2
> LaCie 160 GB
> external firewires, both with light loads so far. I had never
> planned that
> any part of my machine might have difficulties down the track if
> they start
> carrying a lot of data. As this involves my backup system, I need
> to know if
> there is a potential glitch in the master plan.
>
> Details:
> 1 GHz eMac, 1 GB SDRAM, 60 GB HD in 2 partitions, one carrying OS
> 10.3.9 the
> other OS 9.2  LaCie Porsche 160 GB external firewires (2 of)
> operating as
> double ordinary back ups ( changing files copied to both LaCies)  plus
> duplicated deep storage of any files not used for current jobs. I also
> intend in the next few weeks to use the Intego program that is able
> to clone
> the entire eMac HD volumes, including hidden files to both of the
> externals.
>
> I instituted this thorough system after I lost 3 folders in the
> update from
> 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 They just happened to be the current work backup
> folders,
> giving me reason to double backup.

Exterminate all rational though.