[G4] New hard drive question

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed Jun 22 06:31:56 PDT 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 15:58, F Pike wrote:

> Should I hook the new HD up to the ATA100 bus or
> should I use the ATA66 bus. I have read that it is
> better to not have two drives on the same bus.

There is no reason not to have two drives on the same channel (you
cannot have more than 2); in fact, if you buy a new drive, you do want
to put it on ATA/100, to get maximum speed.

The ATA hard drive is managed by an ATA controller. The controller can
be on the motherboard, on a separate card, or in an external enclosure
(external drives). Older controllers cannot access more than 128GB on
any single device; that's why older machines or enclosure cannot "see"
more than 128GB on 200GB drives, and a 200GB drive formatted with an
older controller will only show as 128GB. Newer (48-bit capable)
controllers can use much bigger drives. On the Mac, a few additional
conditions must be met to use drives bigger than 128GB, but all Macs
released since June 2002 (including yours) meet them.

See <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86178>

<0x0192>