[G4] New hard drive question

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 22 11:13:37 PDT 2005

Actually it was the introduction of 48-bit ATA architecture - it is not dependent on processor (CPU) type.

The original 24 bit architecture of ATA controllers that were used in early Macs are the problem.  Since they are on board, they can not be replaced, but you can blow past the limit by using a faster PCI ATA or SATA card.

As I said, I did just that in my G4/AGP - SATA w/200Gb drive.  Works great and is far faster than the ATA/5 controller on board.

jim