[G4] Join Two HFS Volumes?

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Jun 28 12:14:51 PDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 10:29, Carlos wrote:

> if I could figure out how it gets mounted at startup, I'd do that.

Two different issues, (1) mount in a specific node, and (2) do it at
startup.

For (1) -- note it's similar, but not the same as DOS join --

First, get the disk identifier:

$ diskutil list | grep "<volume_name>"

or even

$ diskutil list | sed -n
's/\(.*\)\(<volume_name>\)\(.*\)\(disk\)\(.*\)/\4\5/p'

(which should extract the identifier only), and then mount it

$ sudo mount_hfs /dev/<identifier> <path_name>

Note that all items that were in <path_name> prior to mounting
<volume_name> will be hidden, so don't do something silly, like
mounting in ~. The principle is explained here

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-
organization.html>

but you really have to read and understand the options for mount and
mount_hfs.

As to (2), I don't think that automount is the right tool (my
understanding is that it's for network FSs only, not local FSs). I'd
try to do it by calling mount in the /etc/rc script, or by an entry in
/etc/fstab, or by a script in /Library/StartupItems. For several
reasons, I'd use the latter.

But I don't understand what advantage this would provide over the
default mount point /Volumes.

<0x0192>