[G4] Upgrading eMac

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 12:55:34 PDT 2005

On 06/27/05,  whshaw <whshaw at erols.com> wrote:
> John Baltutis wrote:
>>On 06/25/05, whshaw <whshaw at erols.com> wrote:
>>>I have an eMac with OS 10.3.4.
>>>Can I just use the software update note in the menu to upgrade to
>>>10.3.9? I have seen some notes about backing up data and repairing
>>>permissions before doing this.
>>
>>Backing up to another volume/partition/disk ensures data won't be
>>lost/corrupted during hardware/software changes. Which software update
>>note? Do you mean the one that pops up after you've selected "Check for
>>Updates" in the Software Update PreferencePane and restarted? If so, yes
>>you can do that or you can boot with your install CD, launch Disk Utility
>>and repair both the boot disk and its permissions before doing the
>>automatic updates. Then, restart the eMac and install the offerred updates
>>when the dialog box pops up. When finished, launch Disk Utiltiy and repair
>>permissions again. See
>><http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704> for details.
>>
> The Apple menu has an item-"Software Update". I clicked on that and a
> list of updates appear which includes " Mac OS X Update combined  10.3.9"

That's just a Finder shortcut to do automatically what SysPrefs->Software
Update does as setup by you. You can do it either way. BTW, run it again
after updating to ensure that you got everything that's available. IIRC,
there's a QuickTime and Security update that requires having 10.3.9
installed before they'll show up.