[G4] Fast Internet via Outlet

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 28 10:26:47 PST 2005

Hi,

My electric company, PPL, offers high-speed internet access through my
electrical outlets. In the directions for installation, it says I can't
route their modem through my UPS or surge suppressor. Yikes! But maybe
it's not a problem, and wouldn't any form of fast internet, be it
delivered by cable modem, DSL or other method expose one's computer to
electrical surges or lightening strikes?

PPL says a strike would burn out their modem and leave the computer
unscathed, but I don't know if I buy it. What do you all think? What do
you all have?

As always, many thanks in advance for all of you on this terrific list,

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com