[G4] Fast Internet via Outlet

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Mar 28 13:00:03 PST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 1:26 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> My electric company, PPL, offers high-speed internet access through my
> electrical outlets. In the directions for installation, it says I
> can't route their modem through my UPS or surge suppressor.

Naturally.

> But maybe it's not a problem, and wouldn't any form of fast internet,
> be it delivered by cable modem, DSL or other method expose one's
> computer to electrical surges or lightening strikes?

It's not the "internet", but the physical cables that expose your
equipment to surges.

> PPL says a strike would burn out their modem and leave the computer
> unscathed

Possibly. Depends on how their modem is built. Do they offer any kind
of connected equipment warranty?

> What do you all think?

BPL/PLT is still rather new, so I imagine there's not a lot of track
record. Personally, I'm a suspicious old codger and wouldn't trust the
power company. I'd get an Ethernet-capable power surge protector (e.g.,
<http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=2&sec=detail&id=252&ly=v>)
and connect the Mac to the BLP modem through it.

<&fnof;>