[G4] Jump from Jaguar directly to Tiger?

Dennis B. Swaney romad at nvwisp.com
Sun May 1 10:36:13 PDT 2005

At 11:55 PM -0700 4/30/05, Kunga wrote:
>Well I've been on Tiger for about 33 hours now and as far as I can
>tell it is perfect and wonderful to use. All is much faster and the
>mail interface is a pleasure to use. Happy to report my experience
>with Tiger has been nothing short of stelar. I repaired permissions
>after the install and it came up with ZERO items repaired. I've
>never sen that b4 in any permissions repair before.
>
>Just running it now after 33 hours of use and it is still coming up
>with NO files needing corrections.

Great news, Kunga. How is the Mail app on loading? There was an
article in the Wall Street Journal that said the only problem they
had with Tiger was slowness. Here is the excerpt:

"The only significant problem I noticed was that the computers seemed
to run into slight, but greater-than-normal, delays from time to
time. Certain functions, like Spotlight searches and the updated
Safari Web browser, were very fast. But with other tasks, I noticed
more spinning beach-ball icons, Apple's symbol for delays, than I had
with the prior Panther version of the Mac operating system.

"In particular, the built-in e-mail program, Apple Mail, was slower.
There was a perceptible lag in opening a new e-mail form, beginning a
reply, and displaying the drop-down contact list that appears when
you begin typing in an e-mail address."

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."