[G4] OS advertising

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Sun May 1 16:51:29 PDT 2005

To ad to what Shawn says:

I have worked on major advertising accounts for years; Budweiser, Bank
America, Motorola, Monsanto, Quaker Oats. Only Anheuser Busch (AB) comes
close to Apple in marketing savvy.

Apple is always in the top five in Brand Recognition. They achieve this
at a fraction of the cost of any other major brand. Ads that we want to
see don't mean shit, as we already are eating the fruit. I to may think
an ad here are there should have a different focus; But overall no one
has better marketing and PR than Apple. Apple does long term marketing
and wisely does not rely or lose focus on a single ad campaign.

Look at the "Think Different" campaign. Apple is now getting the full
benefit of Think Different years after the ad. It ties with all of what
they are doing right now. No One else but Anheuser Busch gets this kind
of mileage from their marketing (and maybe Bank America?).

Look at how stupid MS is by comparison (only stupid by comparison): they
were silly enough to resurrect "It just Works". They are advertising for
Apple. If I recall correctly (?) Apple did lift this from MS. They did
so because it was such a  ridiculous thing for MS to say ( was not
actually part of MS marketing); So it started as a tong-in-cheek jab at
MS and became an Apple slogan.

AB has all but killed off it's competitors, and it has only a very
little to do with the products. AB usually, like Apple, stays very
abstract with their campaigns. And all of ABs products sit in special
places in the larger group; You would not believe how hard they work at
this structure. Their competitors use very short term ads that fail to
keep the overall brand in a long term. There are even small things that
mean a lot. You never see an AB ad with a dry bottle; ,It is always "wet
and cool". Miller is inconsistent on "Wet and Dry" often using dry
bottles in ads. Who wants to drink a hot Dry beer?

Steve keeps the marketing focused beyond a single Ad; Otherwise the
marketing gets scattered and ineffective on the long hall. This happens
at companies like Miller Brewing. Sometimes they have great ads but they
are unfocused in the big picture.  The young talent at TBWA needs to be
guided buy a guy like Steve or we would get great ads that don't succeed
in the big picture.

Apples goods are in almost every "hip" TV and movies and have been for
years. Most ads needing a computer in it has a Mac or Mac mouse or whatever.

Roger