[G4] Belkin & sleep

Gary Graf grgraf at optushome.com.au
Thu May 5 14:02:30 PDT 2005

I just bought a Belkin wireless keyboard and optical mouse combo
(particulars below). Basically it seems to be pretty well designed,
However, there is an issue which this list has suggested isn't all that
uncommon with third-party peripherals: the sleep function no longer
works properly.

Now when it's time for the machine to nod off, rather than blinking
amber, the light stays green. The monitor goes into standby mode.
Pressing keys, even the one called 'Wake Up' has no effect. Naturally,
pressing the green button turns off the computer. I know I can disable
sleep and do everything manually, but I was hoping someone might know a
work-around.

BTW, Belkin doesn't support Mac very well in this instance. The
accompanying CD is almost exclusively for Windows users; we Mac people
have to download a driver from their website. There is NO Read-Me
document with it. The local (Australian) tech support team don't know
from Macs and seemed surprised to learn this unit was being marketed to
us. Two e-mails to Belkin's US tech address and one to Sales have gone
unanswered.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Gary Graf

G4/500 (upgraded to 1.4GHz) 2MB L3 cache
OS X 10.3.9
1.25 GB SDRAM
NEC MultiSync LCD 2080UX+ monitor
Belkin F8E829-BNDL Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse