[G4] HD slave_detection problem

RobertCBuitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Thu May 12 13:22:46 PDT 2005

I have a G4 Dual Mirror Drives, OS 10.3.9, 1.25 MHz, original 80 GB HD,
two internal  Maxtor MaxLine II  ATA/133 300 GB, and one internal Maxtor
Diamond ATA/133 40 GB. The Maxtors HDs are connected to an ACard adapter
ATA/133 two channel/four IDE HD max. I installed the 300 GB drives on
the ACard, each on its own channel (in other words set to Master and
each on their own cable), formatted, and in use. I added the 40 GB HD as
a slave (setting the jumper correctly after double-checking Maxtor Web
site) but my  computer does not detect this new HD. I've checked System
Profiler and Disk Utility and neither show a new HD on the ACard. The
ACard does show in System Profiler. I tried using the 40 GB as master by
disconnecting one of the 300 GB, but to no avail... no detection. I've
tried other configurations such as CS setting, switching the
Master/Slave HD settings, etc. but nothing works. Is there a way to
determine if the 40 GB HD is actually spinning ("getting juice") or a
LED indicator light that comes on when the HD is powered up?

I rate myself a beginner in these kinds of technical modifications, so
please give me a step-by-step procedure or an explanation a beginner
will understand. Is there any other information needed so that someone
can help me out here?

I enjoy the listserv and all the valuable exchanges. Learning a lot.

Thanks,
Rob