[G4] AIFF, MP3, Quality Issue

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sun May 15 06:59:41 PDT 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 19:57, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> Originally I converted my AIFFs to MP3 before burning to CD, as I
> thought CD players played MP3s.

CD players play audio CDs. Audio data on an audio CD is stored neither
as AIFF nor as MP3, and it's not even organized in discrete files as
you are accustomed to see on computers. Some CD players and many, if
not most, DVD players can also play MP3 CDs. The latter are actually
ISO9660 data CDs, which contain MP3 files.

>  Then I discovered iTunes was reconverting the MP3s back to AIFFs
> before burning the CD.

No. MP3 is a format which allows for the lossy compression of sound,
i.e., sound is compressed, and some of the audio data is thrown away,
to reduce file size. The price is reduction in quality. An MP3-encoded
file never sounds as good as the original, but for many users it
doesn't matter, because they can't tell the difference. When an
application, such as iTunes, creates an audio CD from MP3 files, it
decompress the MP3 on-the-fly and writes audio data to disc. The data
thrown away cannot be re-created, so an audio CD created from MP3 does
not sound any better than the original MP3. Hence, the only reason to
write an audio CD from MP3 files is to listen to them on a player which
does not support the MP3 format. Otherwise, it's best to write MP3 CDs,
not audio CDs, when your source is MP3.

When you insert an audio CD in your Mac, Finder shows it as having AIFF
files. That's an illusion, a convenience for the user (on a PC, they
would show up as WAVE files); in reality, there are no files on the
disc.

<0x0192>