[G4] new mac user:questions about memory and more

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:42:43 PDT 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 5:04 PM, dapper dan wrote:

> so i have the plate off the bottom of my mac g4 867mhz
> powerbook.question: how are the memory modules removed? there must
> be two since i have 256 mb and the top card is 128mb.

This doesn't make any sense unless someone has changed the
configuration. Your generation of Powerbook shipped with 256 (only
lower (bottom of computer) slot filled) or 512 MB (lower and upper
(under keyboard) slot filled.) (1 GB is the documented max.)

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/

> how can i tell if i have a cd burner?

AppleMenu->About This Mac->More Info... (Button in new window)-
 >Hardware (Contents list)->Disc Burning (or ATA)

Model M8858LL/A came with a combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
Model M8859LL/A came with a super drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

> did these competers come with wifi? if not,where would a card be
> installed?

Model M8858LL/A Airport ready.
Model M8859LL/A Airport equipped.

> and i cant find any antivirus software? where would i look?

VirusBarrier X: http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/home.asp

All of which could have been found with a few minutes of searching on
your own.

Phil