[G4] thanx but... "Take Control..." downloadable manuals, cheap and good!

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Thu May 26 07:25:11 PDT 2005

Might I also suggest the "Take Control..." series at http://www.takecontrolbooks.com ?  These are a series of downloadable books in PDF format, and they are only $5-10 each!  Here is the general description:

It's time for you to Take Control with our highly practical, tightly focused electronic books covering Mac OS X, Macintosh applications, and hardware! Written by the same expert authors responsible for best-selling print books but available much more quickly, Take Control ebooks provide the technical help you need now. Our PDF-format ebooks use carefully designed layout and typography for easy onscreen reading and printing, and they include bookmarks, clickable links, and a Check for Updates button that lets you check for and download free updates. We offer free samples of all our ebooks and a money-back guarantee, so download a Take Control ebook today!

There are already four in the series on Tiger (OS 10.4) @ $10 each, or $20 for all four:

Take Control of Upgrading to Tiger
Thousands of Mac users upgraded to Panther successfully with Joe Kissell's previous best-selling ebook, Take Control of Upgrading to Panther, and Joe is back with detailed new advice for upgrading to Tiger. Put simply, this ebook contains all the advice you need to avoid problems and upgrade successfully.

Take Control of Customizing Tiger
You've installed Tiger and played with the the new features, but now it's time to boost your productivity by customizing Tiger for your needs. Matt Neuburg provides the expert help you need to start using Tiger's new features efficiently, including sections on Spotlight, Smart Folders, Dashboard, Automator, and more.

Take Control of Users & Accounts in Tiger
If you've ever wondered why you need a user account in Mac OS X, Kirk McElhearn is here to help. He explains how to set up and manage different types of accounts, how to use accounts to troubleshoot problems, and the four ways you can share files (including music and photos) among users. Updated for Tiger!

Take Control of Sharing Files in Tiger
Networking guru Glenn Fleishman makes file sharing easy, whether it's between two Macs, among a mixed-platform workgroup, or over the Internet. Learn how to set up Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to share files with Macs, Windows, and Unix using AppleShare, Samba, FTP, the Web, and WebDAV. Clear steps and numerous tips help you configure your firewall, work around Tiger's limitations, share music and photos, and much more.