[G4] Tiger upgrade from Panther

William Wiseman elox at fastermac.net
Mon May 30 09:03:37 PDT 2005

Well, I haven't done any real benchmark tests, but they all seem as
fast or a little faster. The biggest speed increase seems to be in
startup speed and shutdown seems to take a bit longer. I wonder if
Apple moved some of the maintenance tasks from startup to shutdown? I
have noticed that some programs seem to run better/faster (adium,
Chicken of the VNC, Filemaker 6, Audio Hijack Pro)) and some seem to
be slower or have problems (Appleworks, VLC, GraphicConverter).

I like the Dashboard feature and I'm already addicted to it. :-)
Spotlight hasn't gotten much use since I keep my computer pretty
organized, but my wife uses it on her eMac and we have set up several
smart folders for her. I really like the RSS feature in Safari and
finally started using RSS more.

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade. The actual install went
perfectly with no problems on any of the machines. I did repair
permissions twice, as I always do, before starting the install and I
backed up all of my important files.

JeffW.