[G4] 10.4.3 on my Quicksilver -- what a difference!

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 09:51:49 PST 2005

I was really down on my Quicksilver with 10.4.2, but I didn't realize
that it was the system itself that was slowing down all sorts of
things: waking up after periods of inactivity (and I had set
preferences to NEVER SLEEP), processing downloaded main in Eudora,
tempted to switch to the PC that I keep active for chores that I
cannot do on my Mac (like maintain a web site with MS Front Page).
Since updating to 10.4.3, things are back to normal as far as a
speedy Mac goes.

BTW, I resolved the fan speedup that I noted yesterday after having
updated to 10.4.3 on my wife's iMac G5.  I had to remove the back
cover and press the PMU (Power Management Unit) reset button.
Apple's solution of reloading software from the original installation
disk and then upgrading to Panther and then to 10.4.3 did not work at
all.  But, once I reset the PMU, the fans quieted down.

--Steve