[G4] Backup, yes or no?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 2 13:31:30 PST 2005

On 11/02/05, whshaw <whshaw at erols.com> wrote:

> I have an eMac using os 10.4.3 and a WD Dual-option external USB 2.0
> Hard Drive I use for backup.
> I've been reading "Take Control of Mac OS X Backups" and it says that
> you can boot from an external FireWire drive but not from a USB 2.0 hard
> drive. If I use a cable that connects to a firewire port on my computer
> to my hd will this work?

That's true, there are some exceptions, but Apple doesn't support booting
from USB devices. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106474> for details. BTW,
if you're not making bootable backups (using CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper!,
or some other backup utility), there's no way to ensure that you can
restore your system to whatever state it was when you made the backup.