[G4] Re: SATA PCI Cards

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 12 09:40:33 PST 2005

> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:00:26 -0500
> From: Steve Goldstein <sng at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Hard Drive special (was: Partitioning Software)
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
>
> At 2:18 AM -0800 11/12/05, Aaron wrote:
>> Can Serial ATA drives be connected to the same ATA buses that the more
>> traditional (I think!) Parallel ATA drives connect to?
>
> No.
>
>> What adapters are necessary?
>
> You need a SATA card.  Costs about $50 for a mac.  Also, SATA cable and power
> supply connector adaptor (for those drives that do not have two types of poser
> supply inputs).
>
> --Steve

Ditto on Steve's comment.  I had fits getting a new Seagate 80GB SATA to
work in my G4 with several SATA cards.  At first I blamed the problems on
the SATA cards then found out the drive needed to be initialized in a G5
before it could be used in the G4 with a SATA card.  It works great now.

Heads up if you are starting with a virgin SATA drive.  My G4 with a SATA
card could not find the drive.  After it had been found in an external
housing on a G5 and it worked great in the G4.  The Apple Disk Utility works
fine now.

Dick