[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 15, Issue 17

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Sat Nov 12 15:38:55 PST 2005

>  Can Serial ATA drives be connected to the same ATA buses that the more
>  traditional (I think!) Parallel ATA drives connect to?

Yes.

>  What adapters are necessary?

An SATA to ATA bridge board.  Available from many vendors, it
connects to the back of the SATA drive, then your usual ATA cable
plugs into the bridge board.  At $25-30 they are not worth it, since
you will not gain any of the advantages of the SATA drive

For $45-55 get an SATA PCI controller.  I've had a Firmtek Seritek
1S2 for nearly 2 years, and it has worked flawlessly, even in 10.4
which has given other cards fits.  It was pure plug-n-play in a
Sawtoogh G4.