[G4] Mirrored Drive Doors block tray on my second optical drive.

Aaron aarons510 at infinex.com
Sat Nov 12 18:48:53 PST 2005

>From: Tony Gamble <tgamble180 at rogers.com>
>Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:46:17 -0500
>
>Did you remember to remove the front thingy off the front edge of the drive tray? You know... the long flat thingy.

"Remember" is not the right word. Apparently, the author's of Apple's instructions for inserting a second optical drive didn't think to mention it! Since I'd never seen a drive without such a front panel on the tray, it never occurred to me that such a panel might be removed until I looked at the drive that was there already to see why it didn't get jammed.

>I remember I had to do that on my Pioneer when I installed it.  Well, I'd read it somewhere and took the hint, actually, but it seems to have worked wonderfully. :)

I've spent at least 20 minutes so far trying to get the front panel off the tray without breaking anything, since I want to be able to use the drive in a normal computer later. (For that reason, I wouldn't use the method Steven suggested in his response.)

My drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S. If anybody can describe how to remove the thing, or point me to instructions for same, please let me know! Otherwise, I'll try stretching my web-searching capabilities to see if I come up with anything.

>Tony

Thanks,

 - Aaron