[G4] Note on ATA buses in MDD Dual G4 and perhaps other Macs.

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Sun Nov 13 06:26:19 PST 2005

Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Aaron wrote:
>
>> My guess is that the jumpers on the two drives were set using the
>> Master/Slave method, which apparently is correct for the ATA 33 bus
>> but not for the ATA 66 bus, which, like the ATA 100 bus, uses Cable
>> Select!
>

> Keeping things simple. Cable select has nothing to do with which
> interface you're using. It has everything to do with having a cable
> select enabled cable (i.e. the correct wire is snipped at the correct
> location) and the drives jumpered to cable select.
>

> Phil

I just use the button on the header bar to choose which DVD or CD device
to open and I can toggle between them.  It should be just to the left of
your volume control and is shaped like a triangle with a line under it.

Dan A. Currie, Jr.  MDD, 1GB RAM, dual 1GHz processors, 80 & 120 GB HD,
Super & Combo drives, running 10.4.