[G4] Head Hunting, How Many?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Nov 15 23:17:05 PST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Fred Thiel wrote:

> Sorry 'bout that. It's a 333 Mhz tray loader running OSX 10.2 with
> 288 MB of RAM.
>
>> On Nov 15, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Fred Thiel wrote:
>>
>>> ... The two likeliest ones are the fifteen head and sixteen head
>>> master settings. Could someone please tell me which jumper
>>> setting to use. I am going to install it in a Blueberry iMac to
>>> give to my nephew and I'd like to use it instead of letting it
>>> sit around and collect dust.
>>
>> 16 heads and master would be my guess.

The references I found said to jumper the drive as master. 16 heads
is normal setting.

>> It would have helped if you had told us which specific Blueberry
>> iMac you have as there are several. The Apple iMac support site is
>> http://www.apple.com/support/imac/g3/.
>>
>> You should be sure it has the latest firmware.
>>
>> Note also that it can probably take more memory than Apple says it
>> can. Download a copy of MacTracker for more info on that.

OS X needs to be installed within the first 8 GB of the drive. The
only way to guarantee this is to create an 8 GB partition (7.5 GB if
creating the partition from within OS X) at the beginning of the drive.

You should be able to install OS X 10.4 via XPostFacto.

 From http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-d.shtml:

RAM: 32 MB, expandable to 384 MB using SO-DIMM SDRAM (3.3V,
unbuffered, 64-bit, 144-pin, 100 MHz or faster, 10ns) in two DIMM
sockets (256 MB on top, 128 MB on bottom), top DIMM socket accepts 2"
DIMM, bottom socket takes 1.5" DIMM

The exact amount a Rev. A-D iMac can be upgraded varies from unit to
unit. We have field reports of some models accepting 256 MB modules
in both memory socket and reaching 512 MB - and other reports of
early iMacs that won't work at all with 256 MB modules. There appears
to be no way to know in advance whether a particular iMac will work
with a certain sized memory module.

See also http://www.apple-history.com/

Phil
--
McCoy: If people have to choose, they'll trade privacy for safety
every time.