[G4] Noisy G4 DP

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Wed Nov 16 15:00:48 PST 2005

John,

Yeah those are notoriously noisy  systems... Apple even offered some
kind of exchange kit at some point for the power supply fans noise..

There is also a firmware issue like you mentioned here is a link to
it...

There are still other problems even after the firmware fixes
apparently ...

http://www.g4noise.com/tutorial.php?ID=54&p=0

   Check google for many pages on the topic...

Also as something worth noting is that any g4 can get really noisy if
a fan starts going bad, my Quicksilver g4's  CPU fan was going bad
and it was making a harmonic vibration sound in a bad way. The fan
was running, but after trying to turn it there were some major
problems with its rotation.  These fans can go at any time., so check
and make sure they are spinning freely before doing other major
things.. I paid only $5 to get a new CPU fan. So it was a quick fix
for a quieter system... But none of the G4's are really whisper quite...

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.