[G4] SIIG tech support (vapor support?); SATA, SATA II

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Sat Nov 19 06:17:34 PST 2005

I've been hearing about SATA for a while now, how it's supposed to be
better and faster than Ultra Super Colossal (pick one) ATA. And now
SATA II is arriving. Does that mean I bought my SATA PCI card and two
Seagate SATA 250MB drives too late, and should have bought/waited for
SATA II?
I'm surprised there hasn't been much/any mention of SATA on any of
the lem lists to which I subscribe.
Regarding SIIG tech support, the SATA card I have is a SIIG 4-channel
PCI -M (for Mac), purchased from newegg.com. I liked the fact that it
will handle 4 drives, saving a PCI slot and the purchase price of a
second 2-channel card if I choose to go beyond 2 drives.

My questions to SIIG tech-support, simply, were these:
Will the IO for the drives be faster/higher throughput with the one 4-
channel PCI card in my G4 QuickSilver--64-bit 33 MHz PCI bus--or with
two 2-channel PCI cards?
Will the 4-channel PCI card simultaneously read from one drive on the
card and write to another drive on the card at optimum speed, or will
the read/write be slowed because two drives are being accessed at the
same time?
Perhaps these are dumb questions to some of you, but they are not
dumb to me, and nowhere on SIIG's web site or in-box documentation
(poor) do I see answers to these questions).
SIIG's tech support response was "what do you mean by optimum speed/
throughput?"
I view this as a non-answer rather than an answer. A non-help rather
than a help.

Is anybody on this list using SATA? SATA II?
Are all SATA and SATA II cards created equal in terms of IO speed/
throughput/bandwidth (whatever you want to call it)?
What cards are you using and where did you get them?
SATA II users, what speeds/throughputs are you actually seeing? Are
you using Hitachi drives or other?

I am ready to be enlightened. Thanks.

Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter