[G4] G4 Memory

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sat Nov 19 06:57:43 PST 2005

What are the specifics on your machine, in terms of crashing. Do you
mean a kernel panic...? When where , etc... Like someone said having
just the minimum amount of ram should not cause your computer to be
crashing, something else is causing the trouble.   It is surprising
that Mac os 10 let you install with such a low firmware number...

To check for memory prices try this place http://www.ramseeker.com/
As a general rule of thumb always buy a much ram as you can afford.
2- 128 and 2 - 256 is not a very good way to upgrade you memory...

You computer only has 4 ram slots, each can hold a maximum of 512MB.
The current way that you are upgrading is not such a good idea,
because if you ever need to add  more ram you would have to remove
some of the smaller modules to make the upgrade , which is wasting
money because getting your money back out of small memory modules is
tough. So you would be essentially throwing away what you paid for
the smaller memory modules. So in other words you should be looking
to buy 1-512 MB memory module, and still keeping room for future
upgrades while still using the memory you have. You will never need
to worry about having to remove a 512 module after installing it...

Also buy PC-133 memory, which is compatible with your system... Why,
you might ask would I want to buy PC-133? The reason is because if
you ever would come across a newer G4 you could simply remove the
memory from you current system and install it in to the newer G4,
with no trouble...(Up to the Quicksilver series)

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.