[G4] battery/ac adaptor question

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Fri Nov 25 10:02:09 PST 2005

--On November 25, 2005 5:43:06 PM +0000 dapper dan <dapperdan7 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> my ac adaptor is not charging my powerbook.
>
> do these things go out or is there maybe something internal going on?

Could be either. Power adapters do go out, but so do Powerbooks. :-)

Try another power outlet, obviously. Reseat all cables. Sometimes the
sockets get worn with age and need to be plugged "just so" to connect
properly. (Creative use of pliers can fix *that*.)

"Reset the power manager." (Look it up at on the support pages; the
procedure's different for different powerbook models.) See if that fixes it.

Get or borrow a second AC adapter and see if that works. If it doesn't,
then you likely have an internal problem. I hope you have AppleCare. :-(

If the other adapter works, play mix&match (cables & components);
surprisingly often it's a cable that's the problem.

If your adapter is a *DC* one (car power etc.), then you don't necessarily
have a fault. Many car adapters don't produce enough power to run *and*
charge a recent-model powerbook. Many do as long as your (car) battery is
full (you're driving) but not when you're parked. Many drift in-and-out of
charge state. Etc.

Cheers
  -- perry