[G4] Startup Troubles

Jon Bickelhaupt production at appaloosajournal.com
Tue Nov 29 14:11:10 PST 2005

Hey All,

I'm new to this list and am hoping that you can help...

I'm having headaches involving a G4 Quicksilver running OS 9.2.  The
Mac prompted me to download an update for an Nvidia graphics card
(which I did).  Every time I've started it up since then, all I get
is the time display in the top corner (all other desktop items are
blank).  The mouse moves, but I can't even select the Apple menu.

If I force quite Finder, I can get the other desktop items and menus
at the top of the screen to appear — it just gives that little
default warning about Finder quitting and how I need to close stuff
down and restart.  At that point, I can't select/open any folders,
menu items, etc.  I left it on long enough one time that I got a
popup warning that the File Sharing Extensions had unexpectedly quit
as well.

OS 10.3 is loaded on this machine too.  I have held down the Option
key and forced it to let me choose the startup disk, but it freezes
and won't let me select the disk with OS X on it (or any other).  It
only seems to start up successfully (in OS 9) if I launch it in safe
mode.  In safe mode, I tried to reset all the extensions.  I've also
rebuilt the desktop file for OS 9.2 (which is the OS that we use the
most and is set for a default), and have reset the PRAM.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
JB