[G4] G4 Sawtooth AGP external hard drive request

Adrian Abraham aadrian at spymac.com
Sat Oct 1 23:36:02 PDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 9:37 PM, <tommylaws1 at cox.net> <tommylaws1 at cox.net>
wrote:

> 1. Any recommendations as to a reasonably priced hard drive in the
> 250 gig range? (Smaller or larger OK too if you know of a great
> deal or other reason to go larger smaller). I'm not a techhie and
> am not doing a new version of StarWars on my computer.

As long as you keep this drive "External" it will be fine, but if you
then connect it to the Sawtooth's internal IDE connector, only 128
gigs of said HD would be recognized. 2 x 120 gig drive might be a
good idea, keep the OS and applications on one drive and your data on
another.

> 2.Can my present drive be 'booted'/copied to the new drive without
> losing my present programs?  Is so, any help on how to do this
> would be appreciated.\

As Jim suggested, Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper should work.

You could also try this, I recently upgraded my HD and after
installing Tiger on the new HD, it offered to copy over all my
applications, settings and data from the still connected old drive -
very very cool feature this.

It was not perfect, I had to reinstall software to get my Palm to
sync but everything else - files, songs, videos, mail, bookmarks,
ical events, documents, address book, photos, all my applications,
just everything was perfect !!!. Tell that one to your windows
friends :)

> 3. Any idea on how to go wireless with this system?

Can't say.

Good Luck
--
Regards