[G4] Dual monitor support, Sawtooth 450 AGP

Dennis Moser alfonso.el.sabio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 08:49:13 PDT 2005

Gahhhh.

Just acquired a Sawtooth 450 (SP 450, 256 Mb RAM, DVD-ROM, 27 Gb, AGP
2X), and trying to modernize it. I've upgraded it to 10.3.9 (Tiger
will have to wait until next week)

I would like to be able to run dual monitors (I do a lot of Photoshop
and audio) and it woulod appear that the stock ATI card that it came
with SHOULD support that...but it isn't. For now, I'm trying to run a
Sony Trinitron (20") and an Apple 17" Multi-Sync, both CRTs (I'll
eventually upgrade both if those) and at present, I can only run one
or the other out of the VGA port on the card. It is the ATI card with
VGA and DVI out. I'm not concerned about frame rates and polygons as
this is strictly a budegt workstation (eventually will have
dual-processor upgrade and max out the RAM).

First question: will this card actually support dual monitors? (My gut
says no...)

Second question: Will this card, ATI R8500LE-B3 RADEON 8500 64MB DDR
AGP 2X/4X , work in the Mac and support dual monitors? I've looked all
over and can't find a definitive answer for this...it's clearly a PC
version (will I need to flash it?) and nothing indicates that it will
run on OS X or any flavor of a Mac OS.

Third question(a): If not the above card, any suggestions for an
inexpensive AGP card that will work, or do I need to look at a PCI
version? And if so, WHICH PCI cards would be a "best buy?"

Sorry for the length and desparation of the post; I just got the
machine Friday evening and am spending my precious weekend trying to
get it up to speed to start doing some work...