[G4] Power supply woes

jim carbone dictator at rebargraphics.com
Tue Oct 11 07:24:00 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have a PowerMac G4 Mirror Dive Door 2003 (Dual 1.25) that completely
shut down on me this weekend--no power, no fan, no nothing. I traced
the problem back to the power supply, removed it and opened it up to
find that the fuse is completely burnt.

Having never had to deal with this before, and being in a state of
emergency here time wise... what is the proper course of action?

I would think that I should try to just replace the fuse to see if it
holds and attribute the blow-out to a freak power surge or something (I
do have a surge protector on that line).  My problem there is I can't
find this fuse anywhere and the endcaps don't tell *me* enough info to
trust that something I find online is the right thing. Here's what is
says on the fuse, "250V 8A 51S" I don't know what the "51S" stands for.
I have determined however that this is a 5 x 20mm glass fuse.

Anyone with similar troubles in the past that can help me get up and
running fast? Time is so important to me right now that I'd even just
overnight a new PS here if that meant I could save a few days of
hunting down and blowing out more fuses.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
-- jim