[G4] G4 Tower 876 not booting using new internal drive.

Raymond Hardy rhardy27 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 11:09:17 PDT 2005

Hi,

	My G4 Tower 876 (all the drives mentioned have OSX 10.3.9 installed)
has not been reliable for the last two weeks. Finally it has been only
possible to boot up and use the computer through my external LaCie 160
firewire drive. Thankfully I had used CCC to clone the contents of my
original Apple drive just prior to the current problem.
	I had installed a Seagate 120 gig drive about 6 months ago  as a Slave
drive dedicated to music and graphics documents.
	On one of the days recently when both of the internal drives mounted
on the desktop and were working, I used CCC and sent a clone of the
LaCie drive to the new Seagate drive.
	I've disconnected the power and the circuit connection to the old
internal drive and applied a "jumper" across pins 7&8 on the Seagate to
cause it  to function as the prime internal drive.
	I no longer have Application freezes when using  the Seagate drive BUT
TO USE IT I have to boot using the OS on the External drive and then
select the internal hard drive - doing this the  applications I use
seem to work normallyl.  When trying to boot using the Seagate things
slow way down as you near the end of the usual loading  cycle in the
blue screen -- "Waiting for Apple services, etc., takes forever
(minutes) before moving to the next thing in line and then the process
stops when we reach the window in which you enter your name and
password - which in the past and presently on the external drive
were/are automatically entered. Using Disc Utility in the Seagate OS
I've run "repair permissions" and after selecting the internal drive,
using Disc Utility on the external drive, have run "repair the disc"
and had a good report.
	One of the first things I did was to  downloaded and run Applejack.
	I hope I've overlooked something (VERY likely) -  I'd appreciate your
thoughts and suggestions to help me to get things back to normal.
Best,
Ray Hardy