[G4] Trying to backup

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 24 14:42:57 PDT 2005

Wilton, I was away from the list for a couple days updating my
daughter's laptop. Not sure what your execution errors indicate.
Check the log window and see what it indicates as the errors, then
consult ECM's online FAQ. Calling them costs money unless you have
the latest version of Retrospect. And even then the calls are limited
according to your purchase plan. Keeping up to date with Retrospect
is a another whole story, is expensive and subject of much gnashing
and wailing on the on-line forums.

Two times I have received execution errors were when, 1) I had an
grunged file, back under Mac OS9 or, 2) was not using the version of
Retrospect compatible with the OS version.

In the case of grunged files. I used Disk Warrior to create a new
directory then repeated the backup and all was fine. Under OS 10.4 I
would still use DiskWarrior to repair the directory and then TechTool
Pro 4 to optimize the disk. Takes a long time but seems to speed up
disk operation. If you don't have those utilities, use The Apple Disk
Utility that came with Tiger verify the drive, then booting from the
System disk, use Disk Utility to repair the disk.

If the problem is the version of Retrospect you are using then you
will have to upgrade to Retrospect Backup 6.1, or use another program
such as Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 to clone your disk to
the back up drive. You will not be able to incrementally backup
easily but will have a faithful archive copy which you can recover
what you need.

Mike

--
Almost never pointless.