[G4] G4 Powerbook Won't Boot Up. Help?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Oct 28 00:21:05 PDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Jim Manley wrote:

> It was a while back. If the system is damaged then I agree with
> you, but without seeing the machine we really don't know.
> Permissions can prevent the machine from doing all sorts of things.

Jim, I don't know what your computer background is, but the
following, quoted from the original message and included in my first
post in this thread makes it pretty clear to this computer
professional that there really is file system damage:

3. Incorrect block count for filesystem.log
It should be 15987 instead of 15988 (---or is it  file system.log---
probably just one word.)

4. Invalid key length (4, 9807)

6. Warning: blocks on volume MacIntosch HD not allocated

9. After running fsck_hfs -fn /dev/disk0s9, I get these messages:
    ** /dev/rdisk0s9 (No WRITE)
**Root file system
**Checking HFS Plus volume
**Checking Extents Overflow file.
**Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid extent entry
(4, 9807)
**The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
**Volume check failed.

Phil