[G4] New guy (rilly)

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Fri Oct 28 17:19:48 PDT 2005

I am registered but sent this note via another SMTP server.  I hope it
isn't duplicated but it has not appeared.

Yeah, I have no mac experience.

0

25 years with PC's and I know 'em inside out.

I bought my first machine this week on ebay.

Seems like a nice "start"?

Apple PowerMac 400 MHz G4

512 MB RAM (4x128MB)
Rage 128 PRO (16 MB)
20 GB Hard Drive <---------------------Too small
CD ROM/DVD ROM

Plus:
Internal Zip 100 Drive <---------------It's going..........
Keyboad and Mouse (heavily used with visible wear but fully functional)

Mac OS X (Version 10.3.9) including:
iPhoto
iTunes
iMovie
iCal
This is the Gigabit Ethernet Model with white power button and copyright
2000.
---------------

So?

It's confusing finding the "specs" for my "model".
Oh I found them?  Many, many different specs!
The "G4 Gigabit Ethernet" has a bunch of  specs. The machine will be
here in a couple of days...I guess I'll know the other details then.

My only concerns regard adding hardware/software & the current OS.

1. What do I "need" to know in order to know if an app or drive
or...will work.
(Yeah, the 20gig drive is not enogh - But, I can go "off the shelf" with
a Western Digital or any third party HD?)
Plus:
I have a six month old Hitachi CD-RW? [Ht-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B]
I'd like to slde it in? I was told it would be as easy as opening the
drawer, removing the faceplate and replacing the CD-ROM/DVD ROM (I'd
prefer dumping the Zip?)

2. I'm glad it has been upgraded to 10.3.9 as I'd prefer using Toast 7.
  However? I won't be receiving a disc for the OS.  A PC person never
has an OS disc out of reach!  As I am the "owner" is there a way to get
a copy of the OS?  It may not matter to an Apple owner - - I'd be more
secure with the OS on a disc!

2a.  When I add the larger HD, do you recommend I keep the 20 gig drive?
  Is "age" any concern?
It isn't a lot of "space" I'm keeping!
As I always have my OS in a partition of its own, even if the OS "stays"
on the original HD I like to give it a 10 gig of space of it;s own?
Any thoughts on 2a!?

Thanks

[Oh, I've heard from two crowds:]
1. Install Tiger, now!
&
2. You don't have the juice for Tiger (especially, video)

See!?

I need this list!

Michael