[G4] kernel panics across different volumes; RAM?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 10:46:32 PDT 2005

On 09/19/05, Wayne Clodfelter <wayne at troutnc.com> wrote extensively about
KPs, suspect RAM, and ended with:

> So my question(s) to the list (are):
> Is the RAM the primary suspect?

Yes. Tiger's RAM requirements are more stringent than Panther's.

> Could PC 133 and PC 100 sticks co-exist under Panther for 2 years with no
>  problem, and become problematic under Tiger? Even to the point of showing
> up under Panther?

Yes. However, IIRC, the all mixed RAM modules will operate at the lowest
capability among the set.

> Even to the point of showing up under Panther?

Yes, if the bad RAM screwed up the underlying machine defaults when
panicing. I suggest resetting the machine's default settings, using the
following steps:

Restart the machine booting into Open Firmware (holding down these keys
until you get a text screen: OPT+ CMD + O + F). Then, enter these commands,
following each with hitting the return key:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

For details, see <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60285>.
Note that, although the article is an overview for network servers, "most
of the information included applies broadly to all PCI Macintosh systems"
and is, IMHO, their definitive guide to Open Firmware and I recommend its
perusal.

Once the machine boots up, you should test the RAM modules, one at a time,
with the Apple Hardware Test that came with the machine. If that's not
available, then try MemTest, available at <http://www.memtestosx.org/>.

> Could it still be software induced?

Not as far as I know, but the panics could have screwed up the machine's
defaults-see above.