[G4] Hard Disk upgrade for powerpc G4

Jesper Bylund jesper.reklam at telia.com
Wed Apr 5 10:46:10 PDT 2006

It's compatible, no problem. But you should buy a hard disk with max
120GB. The ATA-chain in G4 towers from the first one (pci graphics)
to Quicksilver gen 1 only recognises 120GB - you will not be able to
use the rest if you buy a bigger disk.

More advise:
-- You do not have to take away the disk alredy installed. There is
room for one disk more on the ata chain. Just be sure to make one
disk master and the other slave (instructions normally on the disk)
-- If you really need more space than 120GB - consider buying an
external Firewire disk. There you do not have the size limit problem
and it is easy to keep if you in the future upgrade your computer model.
-- another possibility is to buy a pci ata 133 card. This way you
will get faster transfer speeds and no size limit. (well, there is
one, but no existing p-ata disk is anywhere close yet... :-)

Excellent web page for discussions about mac upgrades:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/